Highlining in Geyikbayiri, Turkey

After getting the Highlining bug I wanted to test myself at a proper highlining meet. The annual carnival in Antalya Turkey, held in February fitted the bill perfectly.

<NEXT POST    PREVIOUS POST>


Geyikbayiri had quality sport climbing, a decent winter climate, and was hosting a festival that had over 20 highlines all rigged a stones throw from the rock and the campsite. Sounded like the perfect winter getaway.

I did learn from this trip that whilst my foray into slacklining in the parks and docks in London has been super fun, it really is only a bit of fun and in no way gives me the same happiness and excitement that climbing does. Climbing is much more a way of life and a passion – slacklining, just something I dabble in.

The campsite - So convenient for the crags

 Arriving at the Campsite I was amazed at how busy it was. I had to make do with squeezing my tent in on a bit of dirt ground at the side. I was also a bit disappointed with the weather. It was very windy and cold. One night it went down to 5 below freezing! This was going to be a tough week.

This was desperately hard for me
The first line I jumped on was about 35m over a beautiful river. It had minimal tension and sagged by at least a couple of meters. Needless to say it was not a good line to start on. Still I threw myself at it. And fell time and time again getting burned and bruised in the process. I had to improve or end up black and blue by the end of the week.

I'm getting the hang of it.
I decided to aim for the gentler lines (read beginner lines). Slightly shorter and under slightly more tension. That said very few of the lines at the carnival had much tension. Loose saggy lines was the rigging fashion and I found it very challenging. However forcing myself out on to the highlines in gusting winds I did make some progress. Successfully sending four 25m lines, and having some good attempts on 30m and 35m lines.
These guys are the pros
I also failed miserably at some harder lines and in some cases couldn’t even bring myself to stand up I was so gripped. The bruises too were accumulating. As were the burns. Highlining, at least for pretty average highliners like me, is actually quite battering on the body!

Me wearing about 6 layers for the cold
The sport climbing in the area looked world class and if it wasn’t for a bout of ‘Golfers Elbow’ I would have probably been climbing more.

Local Sport routes

The whole festival did have a great vibe and atmosphere, however I could sense that some climbers, who had arrived expecting a quiet time in among beautiful mountains and crags, were just a tad pissed off at the ‘Carnival’ and the sheer amount of loud and leery slackliners. Not a night went passed without the noise of bongo drums. So if you want peaceful sport climbing in Geyikbayiri in February make sure you avoid the Highline Carnival.

Me braced for the cold wind and in complete focus